Outstanding opportunity for an experienced Sales professional to further develop their career at a leading exhibition and event experience agency.
Skyline Whitespace is a busy, creative event and exhibition production company based in Wimbledon, SW London. We have a dedicated team of exhibition and event professionals who are devoted to designing powerful experiences for some of the world’s largest brands.
Purpose of the Position
To grow the business presence across the diversity of Corporate ‘Marketing Services’ arena, through a strong & diligent new business acquisition approach, an enhanced existing/dormant client development programme and the evolution of an enhanced and effective marketing & lead generation platform.
You will also be expected to provide effective feedback of business needs from the market place, working closely with the Managing Director to ensure the business continues to position itself effectively towards the target markets.
It is a key leadership role, with full responsibility for the business plan and the identification and implementation of short, medium and long term goals in the continued enhancement & long term growth & expansion of the business.
You will be required to truly understand the ‘essence’ of the business, which will possibly be quite unlike any other environment you will have worked within.
You will analyse & assess how & where to drive the business forward, construct an effective business plan to exploit & maximise in line with your evaluations, whilst re-invigorating & enhancing the Sales teams focus, application, capabilities, professional & personal development & critically, their performance contribution.
The scope of your success will also be judged on your effectiveness at delivering profitable business growth, whilst ensuring the retention of existing clients & margin within the existing Sales Team’s major clientele, alongside the strength & margin achieved through the team’s new account sourcing & development.
It is the stated ambition of the business to grow by a very realistic 13% year on year.
The position will be based at their premises in Wimbledon, though it is a given that frequent travel to client locations will be a pre-requisite, either in client management, new business development, or Sales Team management & performance enhancement.
It is considered key to the ongoing success of this position, that the new Sales Director have as high a ‘profile’ within the business as possible and therefore it is a pre-requisite that the candidate within an agreed time frame, will reside & work within reasonable proximity of the HQ in Wimbledon, to work closely with the existing management team (Managing Director, Creative Director & Design Director) to manage & develop the existing sales function, to engage the internal support personnel effectively, both in development of an effective team enterprise & also the frequent introduction of client & prospect visits to the impressive client meeting venue & manufacturing capability.
Reporting and Context
You will report to and develop an effective & close working relationship with the Managing Director, Mary Cole, who in the interim is controlling a large part of the responsibility for delivery of the Strategic Sales Plan.
Main Responsibilities of the Role
- Business Development: To work effectively with the Managing Director in highlighting market opportunities, delivering effective targeting strategy & the senior level negotiation of significant New Business opportunities.
- Management of Sales Team: to ensure an enhanced performance management programme, improved communications including regular meetings, quarterly reviews, succession planning and target setting to meet team deliverables.
- Financial Control: To maintain a framework to ensure strict financial controls are in place to maximise financial results and minimise financial risk.
- Data analysis and management reporting of agreed KPI’s at monthly board meetings.
One of Skyline’s biggest assets has been its development & retention of staff, but an effective transition to the existing Sales management style & drive of the business is critical at this stage and a new sense of dynamism, innovation, urgency, eagerness and accountability needs to be introduced & driven through the Sales/Client facing areas of the business.
The foundations of profitability are firmly embedded, but the company has re-appraised its’ methodology & hunger to continue to drive itself forward and the appointment of a genuinely impressive Sales Management Professional is key to the ongoing evolution of the business.
Working with the Marketing Manager, you will evaluate & evolve an enhanced marketing & lead generation programme, but in the immediate term the Sales Director will be responsible for maximising market opportunities & the continued sourcing & delivery of significant levels of quality and profitable new business growth.
In the medium term you will be expected to identify suitable future markets and potential technological developments (in partnership with the Managing Director) that will allow for ongoing expansion and market penetration for Skyline.
Experience Level and Technical Requirements for the Role
The role requires a strong sales professional, drawing on a broad experience from the B2B sales environment, with a demonstrable and effective career to date in the innovative generation & delivery of new solutions business and the dynamism & gravitas to energise, lead & drive results through a small, effective sales organisation. The ideal person will have Board level influencing capability and a varied background that encompasses a good overall understanding of business & professional cultures.
You will possess highly evolved sales and leadership skills, with strong yet well rounded interpersonal skills, demonstrable experience & influence, along with an empathetic cultural understanding, combined with the desire & hunger to become an integral part of the next phase of Skyline’s growth & evolution.
Essential requirements are as follows;
- Business background within the Exhibitions / Events Industry with a strong sales slant
- Technically competent, able to learn & impart industry specific knowledge
- Strong leadership skills that enables the candidate to deal with colleagues and peers from different areas of the business
- Know how to motivate and drive enthusiasm within a team and business environment
- Disciplined professional, managing through clear objectives & accountable delivery
- Displays confidence in his / her own decisions and is decisive
- Strong communicator with a good sense of balance
- Is a motivated individual who can inspire others
Preferable experience is:
- Is able to lead a team from the front and therefore not afraid to lead by example
- Is able to instil confidence in others that the actions that are being taken are for the good of the business
- Can demonstrate the ability to reassess a strategy when the market demands it
- Can communicate at all levels with ease
- A proven background of using motivation to achieve business goals, alongside the discipline of process/practice accountability & the delivery of agreed objectives
Personal Competencies Sought:
- Completely committed individual, who understands the importance of true & extensive relationship development in the successful conversion & enhancement of a Client base.
- Strong commercial acumen; able to understand the competitive environment and quickly learn and understand the business drivers affecting the sales of services to the exhibition market place – able to see wider issues and think strategically.
- Flexible organising and planning skills; creates and communicates adaptable plans to guide the business. Able to cope with ambiguity and change.
- Works as part of a team coaches and supports others during a time of change; is not status conscious and is able to encourage ideas and facilitate decisions and solutions from others.
- Excellent and well-developed analytical abilities; able to process complex business information, explore options and quickly arrive at a sound decisions. Not afraid to take calculated risks when required.
- High standards of integrity; is highly trusted by colleagues and someone whom can act as trusted adviser/sounding board.
- Interpersonal skills are highly developed and they are able to inspire trust and an immediate rapport.
- You will be an accomplished presenter, able to network effectively and to present a positive impression of their brand to partners and clients. You will have a track record of building lasting relationships and have an invaluable network of professional contacts.
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills; able to put across a point of view logically under pressure.
- Salary – Circa £70k basic (benchmark salary set, though actual figure will be defined by caliber of Candidate selected)
- Bonus – Circa £10 – 15k based on achieving Sales & Business targets (likely to be significantly more given current Business forecast)
- Car Allowance – £6k per annum
- Travel – Fully expensed travel policy
- Holiday – 25 days + Statutory Bank Holidays per annum
- Pension – Company Contribution scheme (after qualifying period)
If you’d like to apply for this full time role, please send a copy of your CV using the following link: email@example.com